******************** THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO WWW.LEGALINSURRECTION.COM ********************

This blog is moving to www.legalinsurrection.com. If you have not been automatically redirected please click on the link.

NEW COMMENTS will NOT be put through and will NOT be transferred to the new website.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Krugman has it handed to him, EA Poe-style

In December, I covered a clever parody of 'How the Grinch Stole Christmas', lambasting Arthur Pigou. Last week marked Edgar Allan Poe's 202nd birthday and, fittingly, there has been a wonderful parody of 'The Raven' criticizing former economist (and current pundit) Paul Krugman:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary
Over many a quaint and curious volume of Macro Lore
While thus struggling and stressing to myself I began professing
“The whole discipline was guessing and its record was quite poor
Macro theories are conflicting with 9 of 5 recessions predicting.”
But to solve my social science course I needed a good score

Ah, it was in that bleak December, and I could not quite remember,
What I learned back in September, what the professor did explore.
With dreams of Christmas break, I could barely stay awake
A gasp soon I did intake when a knock through the silence tore
“T’is some fellow student knocking, knocking on my dorm room door”
Said I, as I opened wide the door

I thought, at first, I was dreaming to see this bearded man a'beaming
And his Nobel prize a’gleaming he passed through my dorm room door
As he came toward my direction recognizing his complexion
From the Times opinion section, t’was Paul Krugman at my door
This rare, renowned economist whom the right-wing doth abhor
Only this and nothing more

With my luck so quickly turning knowing I could now start learning
About the essay prompt concerning: how full employment to restore
With inquisitive expression quickly I began to question
“How do we end this recession and full employment to restore?”
Not shaken up nor shaven was the economic maven
Quoth the Krugman, “Spend some more.”

“More spending can’t be provided, were the words I gently chided
With congress ever divided, nothing makes it to the senate’s door”
“Maybe in a perfect setting, but what you seem to be forgetting
The whole plan is just begetting of higher deficits galore?
Borrowing now is easy, paying it back is quite a chore!”
Quoth the Krugman, “Spend some more.”

The whole poem is worth a read.

--------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
Visit the Legal Insurrection Shop on CafePress!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Watch the Muslim Brotherhood take over Egypt live:

    http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clever, but "The Raven" is really dependent on the meter and this broke it several times; takes away quite a bit of the appeal, for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beating Krugman with the same Keynes that thrashed our economy is poetic/ justice.

    Terrific send-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What next...the Cask of BarackObamo?

    ReplyDelete