******************** THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO WWW.LEGALINSURRECTION.COM ********************

This blog is moving to www.legalinsurrection.com. If you have not been automatically redirected please click on the link.

NEW COMMENTS will NOT be put through and will NOT be transferred to the new website.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I Am Veit

My cousin has been doing some genealogical digging, and found my great grandmother's marriage license from 1900.

And it confirmed what I always believed to be true, I am Veit:


--------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube
Visit the Legal Insurrection Shop on CafePress!
Bookmark and Share

12 comments:

  1. Too funny. I had to read it a few times to get it. Again, too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As many records as I've viewed in several years of genealogical research, never have I seen "veit." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh! Wait . . . don't you mean you're белый . . . You know, one really has to wonder about much of what got recorded in haste back in the day, although it is pretty clear that this was someone's "phonetic" recording.

    Quite charming in a way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so the clerk asks your great-grandmother "color?" and she answers in her Russian-accented English "veit" (white) - and instead of lifting his head to make his own determination, he writes what he hears.

    There is an odd comfort in knowing that every generation has to deal with nameless, faceless, and above all, mindless bureaucrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe you are actually part vietnamese. has that occurred to you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would make Obama a half veit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Precious. Every time I order a Veit Russian at the bar, it's a most pleasant experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute story - discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be thankful your "Veit" and not "De Verst Bunker".

    http://rightreactions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete