******************** THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO WWW.LEGALINSURRECTION.COM ********************

This blog is moving to www.legalinsurrection.com. If you have not been automatically redirected please click on the link.

NEW COMMENTS will NOT be put through and will NOT be transferred to the new website.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Good-Bye To The Times (of London)

The Times of London and the Sunday Times are among my favorite sources of news, and I have linked to them very frequently.

But now I must say good-bye.

Beginning a couple of days ago, The Times group turned off the free TimesOnline and went behind a paywall (image right) as part of Rupert Murdoch's attempt to buck the trend of free access to internet news sites.

The cost is £2 per week. A small price to pay, perhaps, but it's hard to justify in a world of free news.

A columnist at rival The Guardian estimates that The Times could lose 95% of its "browsers" and still do okay.

Maybe. Murdoch's The Wall Street Journal has managed to maintain a paywall, but it also makes substantial content available for free, thereby maintaining its linkability and paywall.

It is not a good sign, however, that The Times already is offering freebies, like theater tickets, to attract paying customers.

I'll really miss The Times. But I must say good-bye.

It's best for the both of us. Really. It's not you, it's me. We can still be friends.

--------------------------------------------
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry to hear about your break up. I'm sure you'll do okay, you're strong and a survivor. Besides, I have a suspicion that The Times will come crawling back . . . .

    I won't even go on sites that I have to register for free, I'm certainly not going on sites I have to pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, well, looks like I'll be reading more of the Torygraph ..er.. Telegraph, then.

    ReplyDelete