For much of the campaign season, Providence Mayor David N. Cicilline has raised much more money and earned far higher poll results than his Republican challenger, state Rep. John J. Loughlin II. Now, according to the latest poll, the two are suddenly very close.
Cicilline has 42 percent of the vote, while Loughlin is only 2 points behind, at 40 percent, according to polling by WJAR Channel 10....
The new results for District 1 are a dramatic departure from earlier polls.
The last Channel 10 poll on the race had Cicilline up by 47 to 36 percent, with 13 percent undecided. An earlier Channel 10 poll had an even wider margin, with Cicilline winning by 49 percent to 26 percent. That poll had 25 percent undecided.Please support John Loughlin. Your dollars in these closing days could make a difference.
Just three weeks ago, a Brown University poll had Cicilline getting nearly twice as much support as Loughlin. A Channel 12 poll around the same period found Cicilline getting 48 percent of the support, compared with 29 percent for Loughlin. A total of 22 percent were undecided.
Read my prior posts on the RI-01 race:
- Obama/Cicilline Dems v. Clinton/Caprio Dems in Rhode Island
- Obama Works The Reverse-Midas Touch In Rhode Island
- Obama Tries To Stop The "Miracle in RI-01"
- Media Bias In Action: Providence Journal Politicizes PolitiFact
- Rhode Island Dem Launches "Let's Scare Grandma" Tour
- The Patrick Kennedy Seat Is In Play Again
- Support John Loughlin
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube