******************** THIS BLOG HAS MOVED TO WWW.LEGALINSURRECTION.COM ********************

This blog is moving to www.legalinsurrection.com. If you have not been automatically redirected please click on the link.

NEW COMMENTS will NOT be put through and will NOT be transferred to the new website.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Happy Birthday, WFB

Today would have been Bill Buckley's 85th birthday. Though I was born after the ages of Reagan, Goldwater, and Buckley's years as editor of NR, I still owe a great debt to his thought:

God and Man at Yale was my sobering introduction to - and subsequent rejection of - liberalism.

Reading lists and speakers from YAF have helped shape my perspective by exposing me to the nuances of conservative political thought.

I expanded my vocabulary and knowledge of history by watching Firing Line (with a dictionary).

And, of course, I do not know where I would be without my fix of National Review each day.

I don't think anyone else has done as much for political activism and the conservative/libertarian movement as WFB. What do you remember most fondly about Buckley?

--------------------------------------------

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube

Bookmark and Share

9 comments:

  1. Though I was born after the ages of Reagan...

    Just how young are you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. His clever wit. My favorite:

    "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said."

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20, I've only lived through Bushes, Clintons, and Obamas :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was born in '62, so all I remember of WFB is him on Firing Line - his voice and New England WASP accent.

    My Dad used to watch his show; I never understood why, until I had my conservative "awakening" in 2007/2008 watching the debacle that was the "anointing" and "immaculation" of Obama.

    I am thankful for the enlightening! I should now read the book you note, God and Man at Yale. I am sure it will be riveting, now! :) Happy Thanksgiving, Professor!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pasadenaphil, I love that one too--it's one of two quotes on my FB info page, just to make sure all my liberal friends know which way the wind's blowing. (My other quote is by H.L. Mencken: "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. The Hoover Institution has many transcripts of Firing Line available; some some the programs are available for purchase at Amazon.

    2. 20, I've only lived through Bushes, Clintons, and Obamas :-(.

    For your sake and mine, I hope your future decades are no more "interesting" than the first two, but I wouldn't put money on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Buckley was a talented harpsichord player, and loved Bach's music.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always answered his mail. I have 6-8 replys from him about everything including 'Peanut Butter'.Favorite qoute "Cancel your own god dame subscription".

    ReplyDelete